What It's Like to Get a Rapid Covid Test at TPA
by Cassie Sclafani, on September 29, 2020
Current as of October 14, 2020
Tampa International Airport (TPA) is offering rapid Covid-19 testing for all departing and arriving travelers. TPA is the first airport in the US to offer on-site testing with roll out in October 2020 as a pilot program. In partnership with BayCare Health System, two types of FDA-approved Covid-19 tests are being offered. Here’s what you need to know:
- The testing site is located inside the Main Terminal near the Airside F shuttle.
- Passengers can park for free for the first hour in the short-term garage and proceed to Level 3 between shuttle entrances to Airsides E and F to reach the testing site if they are not already in the airport.
- Testing services will be offered on a walk-in basis from Thursday, October 1st to October 31st, seven days a week from 8am until 2pm.
- Both rapid antigen tests and Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR - nasal swab) tests are offered
- Testing is open to all ticketed passengers who are flying or have flown within three days and can show proof of travel.
- Travelers may purchase either test regardless of which airline they’re booked on, their gate location or destination.
- As of the time of this post, the PCR test costs $125 and the antigen test costs $57. Credit card payment is required (no insurance claims will be processed at this testing site).
- The antigen test can produce results in less than an hour.
- PCR tests take about 48 hours to process, so travelers should try to get one three days before their departure to provide the best chance of getting results in time.
- Expect to wear a mask and stay socially distanced at the testing site - it’s a requirement.
For more information about business travel safety you can read more about business travel and COVID-19 on AmTrav’s blog.